Year 1/2 Classes
Staff: Mrs Kempton (phase team leader), Mrs Johnson, Mrs Gouzien (teachers),
Mrs Morea, Mrs Smith, Mrs Waldron, Mrs Purslow and Miss Macaulay (TAs)
Welcome to year 1/2. We hope the children enjoy this crucial phase of their education, transitioning from reception to juniors. For any additional information regarding the routines in our phase team, please read our termly newsletter (see below).
Year 1/2 phase team newsletter Spring (March 2017) [PDF]
Year 1/2 phase team newsletter Winter (Jan 2017) [PDF]
Year 1/2 phase team newsletter Autumn (Oct 2016) [PDF]
15th September 2017: Whole School Mass
Please see below for the minimum expectations in reading, writing, maths and oracy in both year groups.
Year 1 Oracy
- I can listen attentively and show I am listening.
- I can take turns in small group situations or with talk partner.
- I can listen to what others in my group suggest and then say what I agree with.
- I can express feelings and ideas when speaking about things that interest me.
- I can talk in ways that my friends can understand and hear.
- I can show I am listening to others.
Year 2 Oracy
- I can help to organise groups and take on different roles.
- I can take equal turns in a group situation.
- I can listen to and build on what other people have said.
- I can make helpful contributions when speaking in turn.
- I can try to hear and think about the different likes and interests in the group.
- I can talk about experiences.
- I can think of a range of questions to ask a visitor or when on a visit.
- I can keep talk varied to hold listeners’ attention.
- I can carefully choose my words and body language.
Year 1 Reading
- I know all my letters and sounds up to phase 5.
- I can identify which words appear again and again.
- I can relate my reading to my own experiences.
- I re-read if my reading does not make sense.
- I can re-tell with considerable accuracy.
- I can talk about the title and main events.
- I make predictions about what I have read.
- I can make inferences on the basis of what is being said and done.
- I read with pace & expression, i.e. I pause at a full stop, or raise my voice for a question.
- I know the difference between fiction and non-fiction texts.
Year 2 Reading
- I know all my letters and sounds up to phase 6.
- I can read ahead to help with fluency and expression.
- I can comment on plot, setting and characters in familiar and unfamiliar stories.
- I can recount the main themes and events.
- I can comment on the structure of the text.
- I pay attention to commas, question marks and exclamation marks to vary my expression.
- I read aloud with expression and intonation.
- I recognise speech marks and contractions.
- I can identify past/present tense.
- I can use a contents page and index to locate information.
Year 1 Writing
- I can use conjunctions (when, so, before, after, while, because).
- I can use adverbs (e.g. then, next, soon).
- I can use prepositions (e.g. before, after, during, in, because of).
- I experiment with adjectives to create impact.
- I correctly use verbs in 1st, 2nd & 3rd person.
- I use the perfect form of verbs to mark relationships of time & cause e.g. I have finished my homework.
- I use speech marks for direct speech.
- I group ideas into paragraphs around a theme.
- I can write under headings & sub-headings.
- I use legible, joined handwriting.
Year 2 Writing
- I can write different kinds of sentence: statement, question, exclamation, command.
- I can use expanded noun phrases to add description & be specific.
- I can write using subordination (when, if, that, because).
- I use the present and past tense correctly and consistently.
- I can use verb tenses correctly.
- I am correct and consistent when I use: Capital letters, Full stops, Question marks, Exclamation marks, Commas in a list, Apostrophe (omission), Speech marks.
- I can use headings in my writing.
- I show evidence of diagonal & horizontal strokes to join my handwriting.
Year 1 Maths
- Correct formation of digits.
- Count to & across 100, forwards & backwards from any number.
- Read & write numbers to 20 in digits & words.
- Read & write numbers to 100 in digits.
- Say 1 more/1 less to 100.
- Count in multiples of 1, 2, 5 & 10.
- Know bonds to 10 by heart.
- Use bonds & subtraction facts to 20.
- Add & subtract: 1 digit & 2 digit numbers to 20, including zero.
- Add any three 1-digit numbers with a total up to 20.
- Solve simple multiplication & division with apparatus & arrays.
- Recognise half and quarter of object, shape or quantity.
- Sequence events in order.
- Use language of day, week, month and year.
- Tell time to hour & half past.
Year 2 Maths
- Compare & order numbers up to 100.
- Read & write all numbers to 100 in digits & words.
- Say 10 more/less than any number to 100.
- Count in multiples of 2, 3 & 5 & 10 from any number up to 100.
- Recall & use multiplication & division facts for 2, 5 & 10 tables.
- Recall & use +/- facts to 20.
- Derive & use related facts to 100.
- Recognise PV of any 2-digit number.
- Add & subtract:- 2-digit numbers & ones
- Add & subtract:- 2-digit numbers & tens
- Add & subtract:- Two 2-digit numbers
- Add & subtract:- Three 1-digit numbers
- Recognise & use inverse (+/-).
- Calculate & write multiplication & division calculations using multiplication tables.
Most recent key stage data:
Reading: 100% achieved L2 or above, 43% achieved L3.
Writing: 100% achieved L2 or above, 33% achieved L3.
Maths: 100% achieved L2 or above, 23% achieved L3.