Year 3/4 Classes
Mrs Mallinson (phase team leader), Mr Bracey, Mrs Bridger, Mrs Smith, Mrs Watermeyer (teachers)
Mrs Bird, Senora Merry, Mrs Purslow (TAs) Mrs Thomason (HLTA)
In year 3/4 we are currently working towards the new national curriculum.
- To help children transition from infants to juniors (KS1 to KS2)
- To promote independent learning skills
- To encourage higher order thinking and questioning skills
- To prepare children for upper KS2
Current newsletter - coming soon
Diocesan letter - coming soon
RE / Science / Topic
The following Monday
Mental Maths book/Grammar/punctuation book on a rotation
The following Monday
Friday (3S and 3M)
The following Wednesday (3B). The following Friday (3S and 3M).
Reading as often as possible please
At this stage of the year, the important dates are of course the 3,4 Nativity which has been well signposted elsewhere. However, for anyone who is not sure, the performance times and dates are 1.15pm 13th December and 6.30pm 14th December2016.
Year 3 Reading
- I can comment on the way characters relate to one another.
- I know which words are essential in a sentence to retain meaning.
- I can draw inferences such as inferring characters’ feelings, thoughts and motives from their actions.
- I recognise how commas are used to give more meaning.
- In my reading I recognise:
- pronouns and how they are used
- collective nouns
- I can explain the difference that adjectives and verbs make.
Year 3 Writing
- I can use conjunctions (when, so, before, after, while, because).
- I can use adverbs (e.g. then, next, soon).
- I can use prepositions (e.g. before, after, during, in, because of).
- I experiment with adjectives to create impact.
- I correctly use verbs in 1st, 2nd & 3rd person.
- I use the perfect form of verbs to mark relationships of time & cause e.g. I have finished my homework.
- I use speech marks for direct speech.
- I group ideas into paragraphs around a theme.
- I can write under headings & sub-headings.
- I use legible, joined handwriting.
Year 3 Maths
- Compare & order numbers up to 1000.
- Read & write all numbers to 1000 in digits & words.
- Find 10 or 100 more/less than a given number.
- Count from 0 in multiples of 4, 8, 50 & 100.
- Recall & use multiplication & division facts for 3, 4, 8 tables.
- Recognise PV of any 3-digit number.
- Add & subtract:- 3-digit numbers & ones
- Add & subtract:- 3-digit numbers & tens
- Add & subtract:- 3-digit numbers & hundreds
Year 3 Maths (Cond.)
- Add & subtract: Numbers with up to 3-digits using efficient written method (column)
- Use inverse to check.
- Multiply: 2-digit by 1-digit.
- Count up/down in tenths.
- Compare & order fractions with same denominator.
- +/- fractions with same denominator with whole.
- Know pairs of fractions that total 1.
- Tell time using 12 and 24 hour clocks; and using roman numerals.
- Tell time to nearest minute.
- Know number of days in each month.
Year 4 Reading
- I can give my personal point of view on a text.
- I can re-explain a text with confidence.
- I can justify inferences with evidence, predicting
what might happen from details stated or implied.
- I use appropriate voices for characters within a story.
- I can recognise how sentence type can be changed
by altering word order, tenses, adding/deleting words or amending punctuation.
- I skim and scan text to locate information and/or answer a question
Year 4 Writing
- I can vary my sentence structure using different openers.
- I use adjectival phrases (e.g. biting cold wind).
- I can make appropriate choices of noun or pronoun.
- I use an apostrophe for singular & plural possession.
- I can use a comma after fronted adverbial (e.g. Later that day, I heard bad news.).
- I use commas to mark clauses.
- I use connectives to link paragraphs.
- I demonstrate legible, joined handwriting of consistent quality.
Year 4 Maths
- Count backwards through zero to include negative numbers.
- Compare & order numbers beyond 1000.
- Compare & order numbers with 2 decimal places.
- Read Roman numerals to 100.
- Find 1000 more/less than a given number.
- Count in multiples of 6, 7, 9, 25 & 1000.
- Recall & use multiplication & division facts all tables to 12x12.
- Recognise PV of any 4-digit number.
- Round any number to the nearest 10, 100 or 1000.
- Round decimals with 1dp to nearest whole number.
Year 4 Maths
- Add & subtract: Numbers with up to 4-digits using efficient written method (column).
- Add & subtract: Numbers with up to 1 decimal place.
- Multiply: 2-digit by 1-digit
- Multiply: 3-digit by 1-digit
- Divide: 3-digit by 1-digit
- Count up/down in hundredths.
- Write equivalent fractions
- +/- fractions with same denominator.
- Read, write & convert time between analogue & digital 12 & 24 hour clocks.
Next Term out Topic is “Art Gallery!” This will be an amazing opportunity to explore our creative skills to the full – the school is brimming with great ideas for using art across the curriculum as a stimulus for all subjects…watch this space to find out how 3,4 are going to interpret this!