Year 3/4 Classes
Miss Roberts (phase team leader) Miss Hagley, Mrs Gabriel and Mrs Essex (teachers)
Mrs Bird, Mrs Keane and Mrs Thomason (TAs)
In year 3/4 we are currently working towards the new national curriculum.
- To help children transition from infants to juniors (KS1 to KS2)
- To promote independent learning skills
- To encourage higher order thinking and questioning skills
- To prepare children for upper KS2
Current newsletter - coming soon
Diocesan letter - coming soon
RE / Science / Topic
The following Monday
Mental Maths book/Grammar/punctuation book on a rotation
The following Monday
Friday (3S and 3M)
The following Wednesday (3B). The following Friday (3S and 3M).
Reading as often as possible please
Year 3 Reading
- I can comment on the way characters relate to one another.
- I know which words are essential in a sentence to retain meaning.
- I can draw inferences such as inferring characters’ feelings, thoughts and motives from their actions.
- I recognise how commas are used to give more meaning.
- In my reading I recognise:
- pronouns and how they are used
- collective nouns
- I can explain the difference that adjectives and verbs make.
Year 3 Writing
- I can use conjunctions (when, so, before, after, while, because).
- I can use adverbs (e.g. then, next, soon).
- I can use prepositions (e.g. before, after, during, in, because of).
- I experiment with adjectives to create impact.
- I correctly use verbs in 1st, 2nd & 3rd person.
- I use the perfect form of verbs to mark relationships of time & cause e.g. I have finished my homework.
- I use speech marks for direct speech.
- I group ideas into paragraphs around a theme.
- I can write under headings & sub-headings.
- I use legible, joined handwriting.
Year 3 Maths
- Compare & order numbers up to 1000.
- Read & write all numbers to 1000 in digits & words.
- Find 10 or 100 more/less than a given number.
- Count from 0 in multiples of 4, 8, 50 & 100.
- Recall & use multiplication & division facts for 3, 4, 8 tables.
- Recognise PV of any 3-digit number.
- Add & subtract:- 3-digit numbers & ones
- Add & subtract:- 3-digit numbers & tens
- Add & subtract:- 3-digit numbers & hundreds
Year 3 Maths (Cond.)
- Add & subtract: Numbers with up to 3-digits using efficient written method (column)
- Use inverse to check.
- Multiply: 2-digit by 1-digit.
- Count up/down in tenths.
- Compare & order fractions with same denominator.
- +/- fractions with same denominator with whole.
- Know pairs of fractions that total 1.
- Tell time using 12 and 24 hour clocks; and using roman numerals.
- Tell time to nearest minute.
- Know number of days in each month.
Year 4 Reading
- I can give my personal point of view on a text.
- I can re-explain a text with confidence.
- I can justify inferences with evidence, predicting
what might happen from details stated or implied.
- I use appropriate voices for characters within a story.
- I can recognise how sentence type can be changed
by altering word order, tenses, adding/deleting words or amending punctuation.
- I skim and scan text to locate information and/or answer a question
Year 4 Writing
- I can vary my sentence structure using different openers.
- I use adjectival phrases (e.g. biting cold wind).
- I can make appropriate choices of noun or pronoun.
- I use an apostrophe for singular & plural possession.
- I can use a comma after fronted adverbial (e.g. Later that day, I heard bad news.).
- I use commas to mark clauses.
- I use connectives to link paragraphs.
- I demonstrate legible, joined handwriting of consistent quality.
Year 4 Maths
- Count backwards through zero to include negative numbers.
- Compare & order numbers beyond 1000.
- Compare & order numbers with 2 decimal places.
- Read Roman numerals to 100.
- Find 1000 more/less than a given number.
- Count in multiples of 6, 7, 9, 25 & 1000.
- Recall & use multiplication & division facts all tables to 12x12.
- Recognise PV of any 4-digit number.
- Round any number to the nearest 10, 100 or 1000.
- Round decimals with 1dp to nearest whole number.
Year 4 Maths
- Add & subtract: Numbers with up to 4-digits using efficient written method (column).
- Add & subtract: Numbers with up to 1 decimal place.
- Multiply: 2-digit by 1-digit
- Multiply: 3-digit by 1-digit
- Divide: 3-digit by 1-digit
- Count up/down in hundredths.
- Write equivalent fractions
- +/- fractions with same denominator.
- Read, write & convert time between analogue & digital 12 & 24 hour clocks.
Next Term out Topic is “Art Gallery!” This will be an amazing opportunity to explore our creative skills to the full – the school is brimming with great ideas for using art across the curriculum as a stimulus for all subjects…watch this space to find out how 3,4 are going to interpret this!