Absence and Sickness
Please read our Attendance Policy
If your child is unable to attend school due to illness or other circumstances, please call the office to notify us on the first and any subsequent days of absence. If we have not heard from you we will make a welfare call on each day of absence.
Term time absence requests
The school will not consent for children to have term time absence unless this is for exceptional circumstances. Exceptional circumstances include but are not limited to:
- Service personnel returning from/scheduled to embark upon a tour of duty abroad.
- To attend religious festivals or services such as the wedding or funeral of an immediate family member.
- Other compassionate circumstances e.g family illness, family crisis such as marriage break-up.
- Where there are other factors which the Head teacher may consider exceptional circumstances, this may be referred to the Local Authority for advice.
- Farming families, whose work patterns mean they cannot holiday during the summer holiday months.
- Where a holiday is recommended as part of a parent or child’s rehabilitation from a medical or emotional issues. Evidence must be provided from a qualified professional such as a doctor.
- Where it is company/organisational policy for an employee to take leave at a specified time in the year and there is no opportunity for a family holiday in school holidays. This must be supported by documentation from the organisation.
For all of the above, it should be noted that financial consideration are not deemed exceptional circumstances and from this context the availability of cheap holidays will not fit into this category.
Requests for authorised term time leave should be made by completing an Absence Request form available from the school office. Families taking term time leave without the consent of the school may incur a penalty notice and involvement from the Educational welfare Officer. Penalty notices are usually issued to each parent for each child.
As far as is possible, we ask that medical appointments are made out of school time; however, we do understand that this is not always possible. If your child has to be taken out of school for a medical appointment, the School must be advised in writing, so that it can be marked appropriately in the register. The letter/note can be handed to your child's teacher or given in at the Office.
When you come to collect your child, please go to reception and speak to someone in the Office.
We understand that from time your child may need to take medicine while at school. Please bring all medication to the School Office at the start of the day, and complete an 'Administration of Medicines or Treatment Form of Consent', giving full instructions of dose, etc. Please see our Medicines Policy for further information.